Aurora Project, Inc. was founded in 1986 by Executive Director Sister Dorothy Nussbaum, RSM in response to the increasing problem of homelessness among women with children. Sr. Dorothy and other professional women wanted to finance more than a building that provided shelter from the elements, but enrichment programs that would offer the women and their children a “new beginning.”
From that vision came Aurora House, a congregate living program housing 11 families, located at 1035 North Superior. In addition, seven apartments are available for Aurora’s Step-Up Housing Program that provides women access to a supportive environment during the second phase of their recovery. The newest addition is two units of permanent housing located at 1025 N. Superior. These 2 and 3-bedroom units provide housing for those residents.
In FY 2007-08, Aurora continued its efforts to collaborate with other non-profit organizations in an effort to enhance services to our residents. While collaborative efforts were continued with Bethany House, the YWCA of Greater Toledo, the Ohio State University Extension office, Goodwill Industries of Northwest Ohio, and Harbor Behavioral, efforts were expanded to include corporations. This enhanced effort, named C.O.R.E.
(Corporations providing Opportunities, Resources, and Empowerment) brought in Owens- Corning, National City Bank, and Mercy Health Partners as corporate sponsors of a pilot project designed to expand programming specific to the population served at Aurora. The project will be expanded to include programming for residents of other transitional facilities.