Aurora Project, Inc. is a comprehensive housing and life skills program that empowers homeless women and their children to achieve self sufficiency and independence by providing resources and skills in a supportive and safe environment.”
Organization Profile and History
Aurora Project, Inc. was established in 1986 to provide service enriched housing to homeless women and their children. Aurora is the only program in northwest Ohio and southeast Michigan that will allow children to reside with their mothers while addressing the issues which led to their homelessness. The families Aurora serves have extremely complex service needs and are homeless for a variety of reasons, i.e., chemical dependency, severe mental health, domestic violence and economic downturn (loss of employment/foreclosure). In fiscal year 2010/2011, Aurora served 60 women and 56 children (resident/visiting) The yearly cost of serving a family is approximately $10,000 and of those women who complete our program, 70% will remain successful, i.e. housing, employment/education, etc.
- To increase a woman’s employability potential
- To stabilize her family
- To provide her with the skills necessary to obtain and maintain permanent housing
Aurora operates 19 units of housing at three sites:
- Aurora House has 13 units of housing at its congregate facility locate at 1035 N. Superior Street
- Four one bedroom apartments located at 702 North Erie Street (Covenant House)
- Two permanent housing units located at 1023-1025 N. Superior
Covenant House is a component of our step-up housing program which offers more independence for women as they learn to use the skills they have acquired in the Congregate Living component of Aurora House.
Programs are offered to families which will increase their opportunity to obtain and maintain permanent housing:
- Intensive case management
- Life skills
- Financial management
- Parent education
- Relapse prevention
- Computer lab
- Employment/job skills training
- Nutrition Education
- Creative Exploration
- Linkage to Community Resources
- Story Time – reading strategies, language development strategies, etc.